Every sector has its buzz words; here are some of ours:

Articulating Keyboard Drawer – a device that allows you to raise or lower the height of your computer’s keyboard tray.

Base Feed Kit – a device to bring power from the building, through the wall or floor into systems furniture; these must be installed by a licenced Electrician.

Bookcase – do you really need to know what a bookcase is?

Box or Box Box File Pedestal – a 6″ drawer (to hold pencils, cards and your “stuff”) in wood veneer, laminate, metal, and painted MDF.

Bridge or Bridge Return – the middle of the “U”; the part between the Desk and Credenza. These come in wood veneer, laminate, and painted MDF.

Cantilevers – an “L”-shaped support (invented by Leonardo Da Vinci?) for work surfaces or shelving.

Casegoods – an industry term for a category of furniture that includes: Desks, Credenzas, Hutches, Lateral files, Bookcases and matching Tables.

Closed Storage – a cupboard with a shelf; heights range from 2 high to 6 high (shelves), sometimes lockable, in wood veneer, laminate, and metal.

Credenza – the back part of a “U”; these can come with Lateral flies, Closed storage, Pedestals, or combination drawers, in wood veneer, laminate, and painted MDF.

Decommissioning – “The Process or removing something from Active status ” In Office furniture, it’s the complete removal and disposal of your existing furniture and furnishings from your old location.

Desk – the main surface; most come with 1 or 2 sets of drawers, in wood veneer, laminate, metal, and painted MDF.

End Gable – a vertical support at the side of a desk.

File Pedestal – 12” drawers to hold your files; some do legal, all do letter and some do both; in wood veneer, laminate, metal, and painted MDF.

Filler Panel – a custom piece to fill the gap between the wall and systems furniture.

Ergonomics: The design of your workplace, to maximize productivity by reducing operator fatigue and discomfort. We have many products with the adjust ability to get you the right “Fit”. Comfort = productivity= profit + happyness

Gable – a vertical support at the side, or in between two connecting desk parts.

Grommet – a hole covering to allow wires and metal clamps to pass through a desk or surface; in plastic or metal.

Hutch – a storage unit that sits on the return or desk.

Keyboard – see: Articulating Keyboard Drawer.

Laminate – see Plastic Laminate.

Lateral File – a filing cabinet that is wider than deep; this is the most efficient way to file. 2-high to 5-high (drawers), sometimes lockable, in wood veneer, laminate, and metal.

Mid-Panel Gable – a vertical support in the middle of a panel, supporting two connecting desk parts.

MDF (or Medium Density Fiberboard) – this is an engineered wood product, that acts as a base (like particle board) to which laminate or veneers are applied. MDF can also be sanded and painted or lacquered, and can be produced with many different edge profiles, unlike particle board.

Millwork – built-in furniture that is permanently attached to the wall or floor.

Modesty Panel – a vertical support under a desk between the user and guest.

Monitor Arm – a device that raises the monitor off of your desk (some models have height and tilt adjustment).

Muttons – a structural separation between glazed areas or glazed area and door area. May be both horizontal or vertical.

Mullions – similar to Muttons except that Muttons visually separate glazed areas whereas Mullions structurally separate them.

Obstructions – anything that protrudes from the wall – light switches, thermostats, duct work, and other nasty things that get in the way.

Particle board – a solid substrate of glue and wood components, used as the base for all desks & surfaces. Wood Veneer, or Laminate cover the top & bottom and edging on the sides. Most desk products are made from 45 pound density particle board.

Pedestal – a set of drawers (see box box file pedestal); in years past, they used two pedestals to hold up the desk (sometime we still do).

Plastic Laminate – layers of plastic, paper and photography; any colour, wood grain, or patterns are possible; it is more resilient than veneer; laminate must be trimmed with a self edge or vinyl edging. Laminate can be high pressure (Arborite, Wilson Art, Octalam, Duralam, Pionite) which is more resilient, or low pressure (Melamine) which is less resilient and offers less variety.

Power Grommet – a hole cut into a desk, then covered with a metal or plastic devise with a combination of power and or data connection points.

Power Pole – a device that brings bring power from the building through the ceiling into systems furniture; these are installed by our installers. The electrical portion must be connected by a licenced Electrician.

Raceway – a channel to house power and data, these are usually metal, and should block electrical interference from compromising your data.

Surface or Top – a laminate or veneer component of a desk or work station, where a user works.

Task Chair – a good chair to use with a computer! Task chairs should have height adjust ability, and the ability to tilt the seat and back separately. More advanced task chairs offer height/width/pivoting arms, back height, and seat depth adjustments

Tilter Chair – Tilter chairs are best used in meeting or non-computer settings, the back and seat are usually fixed in a set position, thus not allowing the adjustments extended computer use requires.

User – you or your employee sitting at their desk or station.

Wood Veneer or Veneer – (the real McCoy) a 32nd or 16th of an inch of real wood (Maple, Walnut, Oak, Cherry, Anigre, or others) glued and pressed (with time and pressure) on to Particle board or MDF